[linux-pm] Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take two

Brian Swetland swetland at google.com
Thu Aug 5 06:37:15 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:18 AM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
>> Continuing to rush in where angels fear to tread...
>
> here here :-)
>
>> o       "PM-driving application" are applications that are permitted
>>        to acquire suspend blockers on Android.  Verion 8 of the
>>        suspend-blocker patch seems to use group permissions to determine
>>        which applications are classified as power aware.  More generally,
>>        PM-driving applications seem to be those that have permission
>>        to exert some control over the system's sleep state.
>>
>>        Note that an application might be power-oblivious on one Android
>>        device and PM-driving on another, depending on whether the user
>>        allows that application to acquire suspend blockers.  The
>>        classification might even change over time.  For example, a
>>        user might give an application PM-driving status initially,
>>        but change his or her mind after some experience with that
>>        application.
>
> One thing that I think it's important to document here is theinformation
> that Brian provided in response to your question about how many (or actually
> how few) applications fall into this catefory

I think I need to clarify here.  When I say "app" in the context of
Android, I mean "an application running under the Android app model --
sandboxed under a per-app or app-group uid", not "a process".  The
vast majority of processes on an Android device are "apps" in this
sense, but some (usually low level services or daemons) are not.  Also
I use "wakelock" as a place holder for "suspend blocker" or whatever
exact API we're trying to hash out here, because it's shorter and I'm
lazy.

Any app may obtain a wakelock through the standard Android APIs,
provided it has permission to do so.  In the current implementation,
apps obtain wakelocks via making a binder RPC call to the power
manager service which tracks high level wakelocks (for apps!) and
backs them by a single kernel wakelock.  Access control is at the RPC
level.  This implementation could be changed to have the app API
simply open /dev/suspendblock or whatnot, with access control enforced
by unix permissions (the framework would arrange for apps with the
android "can block sleep" permission to be in a unix group that has
access to the device).

For native services (native daemons that run "underneath" the android
app framework -- for example the media service, the radio interface,
etc), the kernel interface is used directly (ok, usually via a very
thin C convenience wrapper).

Brian