[linux-pm] [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at sisk.pl
Tue Jan 5 15:03:23 PST 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010, Bartłomiej Zimoń wrote:
> Dnia 5 stycznia 2010 22:23 	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw at sisk.pl> napisał(a):

> > > Not all processes will need pm notification.
> > >
> > > Just in case, could this "power manager" be provided as userspace
> > > driver for kernel (for example compiled as UIO)?
> >
> > I don't really understand why you want to do that in the kernel.  Is there
> > any particular reason why this cannot be done in the user space?
> >

> Problem is with notification from pm-utils. Dbus for session is only
> user session waid and it is almost imposible to send something
> from systembus or it needs lots of magic.

Don't use dbus, then.

> Even if i'll use pm-utils, must provide way to notify my app.
> Looks like no standard way here, that's bad, every app has it's own?

Isn't there a possibility to introduce a standard way of doing that without
involving the kernel directly?

> I think this way - if kernel is processes manager and if it sends
> "some unknown" signal to every process before kernel suspend so why
> not send sepcific and known signal instread.

We _can_ do that, but what would a process be supposed to do after receiving
such a signal?

> But now we have DeviceKit-power/upower whatever but it doesn't provide
> this feature or something simmilar to relay on.

You're still not saying what you really need.  So, what's the application you
have in mind that needs a notification from the _kernel_ so badly?

Rafael