S/N

Csaba Csoma - sysadm csoma at syncron.ro
Wed Nov 11 21:52:17 PST 1998

> > > (IMHO, maybe CPU, but BIOS for the sake of discussion).  LINUX should
> > > read (and not "soft" read) a serial number out of the BIOS, and not hold
> > > it in software to be hacked.  BIOS manufacture might be easier to
> >
> > Any scheme like this can be hacked. Especially -- but certainly not limited
> > to -- when you have the source to look at.
> >
> Closed software NOW on a Free kernel is the bridge to Free Software
> Future.

 The S/N idea is good, but - I have some practice in this
domain - it's not easy to implement. Especially on PCs, where
anybody can upgrade anything - everyday.

 The software solution is very easy to hack. Maybe a window
to hardware (word-readable port or something similar) can
help, at least this can be changed only with reboot. Or a
smart-card reader, but this is like the hardware key on LPT
port.

 After all we dropped all this kind of projects and the
"copy-protection" is now made by law. With a little help
from us: personalized serial numbers (like a checksum of
the customer's date: company name etc.)

 I think Linux should support both closed and open programs,
the commercial software is very important.

                                       Csoma, Csaba
                                     csoma at syncron.ro