Future of Linux

BadlandZ rob at current.nu
Thu Nov 12 19:46:31 PST 1998

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Andy Tai wrote:

> > Compilers are also an issue I feel strongly about.  I think gcc and egcs
> > are awsome, but no match (yet) for commercial compilers.
>
> Don't even think of trying making some commerical compilers part of the Linux
> standard, if they's what you are thinking.   Linux is a GNU system and as
such
> gcc/egcs has to be the standard.

No, I simply ment that gcc should be a link to cc, not assuming that all
people use gcc.  Whatever compiler the users chooses should be linked to
cc, and the standard for packaged software should look to use cc to
compile and install, not look for gcc by default.

--
"Robert W. Current" <rob at current.nu> - email
http://www.current.nu                - personal web site