Version & Distribution identification

gk4 at gk4 at
Tue Apr 25 12:36:46 PDT 2000

If /etc/*-release is going to become a trend, then perhaps we should
consider placing them in a subdirectory called /etc/release/

We should standardized the internal format of the file ie., (name colon
value) and/or an API to the data.

George Kraft IV
gk4 at
512-838-2688; t/l 678-2688
IBM Linux Technology Center & Linux Standards

John H Terpstra <jht at> on 04/25/2000 01:07:35 PM

Please respond to john.terpstra at