[lsb-discuss] Re: [lsb-futures] Qt libs ... included in the kernel 2.6 ... Why still blocked?

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Nov 6 13:09:37 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 07:35:05PM +0100, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
>    In the past, I was a knight defending the Qt insertion in the LSB
> Specific.
>
>    Actually state is "Blocked", in the futures.
>
>        http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/candidates/index.html
>
>    Now, I download some days ago, the kernel 2.6-test9 and running
> "make xconfig" I found
> a wonderfull evolution, not more based on Tcl/Tk but on Qt ... Yes, on Qt.
>
>    Now, that Qt is included in the Linux Kernel ... Are there some
> possibilities that become
> "Active" and therefore UN-Blocked!

Qt is still blocked on the license.  The basic theory is that if there
are twenty libraries with Qt-like licenses, it would be extremely
annoying and inhibiting for ISV's to have to pay twenty different
companies just to write commercial applications for Linux.  Hence the
requirement that libraries mandated for use by Linux Standard Base be
under a license which allows cost-free usage by commercial ISV's.
(i.e., LGPL or BSD style licensed).

It's nothing specific against Qt.  libreadline and other GPL'ed
licensed libraries aren't included either, for similar reasons.

						- Ted