[lsb-discuss] Re: [lsb-futures] Qt libs ... included in the kernel 2.6 ... Why still blocked?

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Thu Nov 6 13:34:23 PST 2003

Matt Taggart wrote:

>"Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando" writes...
>

>>Hi Friends,
>>
>>    In the past, I was a knight defending the Qt insertion in the LSB
>>Specific.
>>
>>    Actually state is "Blocked", in the futures.
>>
>>        http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/candidates/index.html
>>
>>    Now, I download some days ago, the kernel 2.6-test9 and running
>>"make xconfig" I found
>>a wonderfull evolution, not more based on Tcl/Tk but on Qt ... Yes, on Qt.
>>
>>    Now, that Qt is included in the Linux Kernel ... Are there some
>>possibilities that become
>>"Active" and therefore UN-Blocked!
>>

>It's not blocked because people don't use it, it's blocked for license
>reasons.

I know that very well ... But the Linux Kernel are using it!!!, in other
words if someone that wants to
compile the kernel in graphical mode will compile the file:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9/scripts/kconfig/qt.cc

that requeries the Qt library. What is the situation in this case about
the licenses?

Generally it is included ... in any case to avoid licenses restrictions,
Qt must be used like ... the Linux kernel,
I think.

... So, actually both the Linux Kernel and Qt are at the same level: GPL.

Qt is GPL ...
http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000043.html

I suppose that LSB maintainers must be clear with this new inclusion.