[lsb-discuss] Re: [lsb-futures] Qt libs ... included in the kernel 2.6 ... Why still blocked?

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Thu Nov 6 23:35:43 PST 2003

--------------------

>The Qt license certainly allows an individual who chooses to use the
>Qt method of configuring the kernel to use it, yes.

... And there are no other way to configure the kernel graphically,
actually!

This is not optionally, but the only possible choice.

I beleive that Qt must be active, you can also choose Qt (GPL), and
leave Qt (Commercial) for commercial
purpose, to maintain.

Tcl/Tk was and is GPL, and allow to recompile the kernel graphically.
Now, the choice
is Qt. Well, if you don't make changes ti the LSB, people are
configuring the kernel
... in some 'illegal' mode ... in accord with actual

... Again

I suppose that ISV may change the state from Qt - Blocked to Qt (GPL) -
Active.

>However, in the
>case of an ISV writing a commercial application, they may not be able
>to distribute code linked with the Qt license without first paying
>royalties.  The requirement of making an ISV pay large amounts of
>royalties to potentially dozens of entities is the reason for the LSB
>licensing criteria which requires a no-cost license for use by
>commercial applications.
>
>Whether or not the Linux Kernel uses Qt (optionally!)

No.

> as a
>configuration mechanism is completely irrelevant to this particular
>point.
>

>>... So, actually both the Linux Kernel and Qt are at the same level: GPL.
>>

>The difference is that commercial applications don't have to link with
>the Linux Kernel, so they don't have to pay licensing fees just
>because they are running their application under the Linux Kernel.
>However, this would not be true in the case of a commercial
>application linked with Qt.

qtconf.cc is NOT a commercial application.

Again, because actually is blocked because licenses, commercial
licenses, but Qt is also available under GPL,
you may enable Qt ... but Qt (GPL). And this means only the Qt when the
terms are GPL and therefore for free
software.

This will solve the problem, I think.

Thanks,