[lsb-discuss] Re: [lsb-futures] Qt libs ... included in the kernel 2.6 ... Why still blocked?

Nils O. Selåsdal nos at utel.no
Fri Nov 7 01:02:47 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:34, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
> Matt Taggart wrote:
>
> >"Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando" writes...
> >

> >>Hi Friends,
> >>
> >>    In the past, I was a knight defending the Qt insertion in the LSB
> >>Specific.
> >>
> >>    Actually state is "Blocked", in the futures.
> >>
> >>        http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/candidates/index.html
> >>
> >>    Now, I download some days ago, the kernel 2.6-test9 and running
> >>"make xconfig" I found
> >>a wonderfull evolution, not more based on Tcl/Tk but on Qt ... Yes, on Qt.
> >>
> >>    Now, that Qt is included in the Linux Kernel ... Are there some
> >>possibilities that become
> >>"Active" and therefore UN-Blocked!
> >>

> >It's not blocked because people don't use it, it's blocked for license
> >reasons.
> >
> I know that very well ... But the Linux Kernel are using it!!!, in other
> words if someone that wants to
> compile the kernel in graphical mode will compile the file:
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9/scripts/kconfig/qt.cc

Just fyi. There is gconfig as well (make gconfig) it unsurprisingly uses
GTK.

> that requeries the Qt library. What is the situation in this case about
> the licenses?
>
> Generally it is included ... in any case to avoid licenses restrictions,
> Qt must be used like ... the Linux kernel,
> I think.
>

> ... So, actually both the Linux Kernel and Qt are at the same level: GPL.
>
> Qt is GPL ...
> http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000043.html
Which is why I won't use it. I don't want to pay Trolltech. Nor
do I want to GPL my(our) applications. It would be imho nicer
to incorporate GTK+2.something in LSB. So one can atleast write
LSB compliant GUI applications without paying royalties to any party..
(Writing GUI using the core X libraries is no fun, nor are statically
linked
appliations..)

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards