[lsb-discuss] Re: [lsb-futures] Qt libs ... included in the kernel 2.6 ... Why still blocked?

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Fri Nov 7 02:01:39 PST 2003

Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:34, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
>

>>Matt Taggart wrote:
>>

>>>"Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando" writes...

>>>It's not blocked because people don't use it, it's blocked for license
>>>reasons.
>>>

>>I know that very well ... But the Linux Kernel are using it!!!, in other
>>words if someone that wants to
>>compile the kernel in graphical mode will compile the file:
>>
>>/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test9/scripts/kconfig/qt.cc
>>

>Just fyi. There is gconfig as well (make gconfig) it unsurprisingly uses
>GTK.

Yes. Is right! ... and is cool ;-)

Gotcha!

... Seems that the LinuxKernel inherits the GUI problem. This is just I
WANT TO AVOID.

When, we will choose ONE? ... and discard the other?

I continue to like and prefer KDE and Qt. Sorry. It is more nice to work
for.

>>that requeries the Qt library. What is the situation in this case about
>>the licenses?
>>
>>Generally it is included ... in any case to avoid licenses restrictions,
>>Qt must be used like ... the Linux kernel,
>>I think.
>>

>>... So, actually both the Linux Kernel and Qt are at the same level: GPL.
>>
>>Qt is GPL ...
>>http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000043.html
>>

>Which is why I won't use it. I don't want to pay Trolltech. Nor
>do I want to GPL my(our) applications. It would be imho nicer
>to incorporate GTK+2.something in LSB. So one can atleast write
>LSB compliant GUI applications without paying royalties to any party..

If you use Qt, and the applications will be NOT-commercial, you don't need
to pay anyone.

Thanks,
Giovanni