[lsb-discuss] LSB and Fortran

Robert Schweikert Robert.Schweikert at abaqus.com
Wed Aug 2 10:56:38 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 10:41 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> >> We need Fortran in the LSB and here is how I think this should work:
> >
> >Fortran can be added to the LSB once it fulfills all the selection
> >criteria. This is tracked at,
> >
> > http://www.freestandards.org/futures/candidates/FORTRAN/
> >
> >It hasn't been updated in a while. Please send updates.
>
> The big blocker when Fortran was looked at before was,
> the only thing we could have done was based on g77,
> and the people who cared enough about Fortran (yes
> I know it's supposed to be all-caps) also cared enough
> to tell us that that wasn't a real enough Fortran to
> be of any use to them.

Yes, g77 is/was not viable for more serious Fortran programming efforts.

> Indications are that with the massive updating of the
> GCC Fortran piece - gfortran, F95 alignment, bundle of
> cleanups, bug fixes, improvements - that this may not
> be as big a barrier any more.
>
> So we'd love to hear more about that (as we are, in fact).

The tracker should probably be updated to track gfortran, thus the whole
process has to start from scratch.

--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(Robert.Schweikert at abaqus.com)                 LINUX