[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-06-04

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Jun 4 14:13:29 PDT 2008

Joseph Kowalski wrote:
> Jeff Licquia wrote:
>> Java.  Joe sent a message summarizing the current status.  Went
>> through; any issues?  Robert: looks good.  Jeff: point 5.
>
> Jeff, that's pretty terse.   :-)

My question: since we require third-party apps generally to install to
/opt or /usr/local, do we want to write an exception for JVMs?

>> Darren: distros do need to ship multiple JVMs.
>
> Statement or question?

Statement.

>> Robert: should allow distros to ship more than one version of Java.
>
> Distros should be able to ship multiple JVMs", but I don't see this as
> an LSB issue.

Correct; this was an observation about a use case for /usr/lib/java.

>> Darren: handle via alternatives mechanism.
>>

> Wouldn't that be a choice for the distro to make, and not of concern the
> the LSB?
>
> I'd encourage them not to use this. In the case of a full JDK (rather
> than the JRE we are discussing), it would be a ponderious and fragile
> implementation.
>
> That said, a distro can use what ever type of rope they want.

Heh.  This was just an observation for how they handle deciding which
JVM to use when multiple JVMs are installed.

> The JCK doesn't have an app side.
>
> There is an "appchk" semi-equivalent for "100% Pure Java", but that
> would kick-out many valid applications.  Its probably a  starting point.

OK.  Is it open source?  If not, could it become so?