[Lsb-infrastructure] big dump of stuff into database

Denis Silakov silakov at ispras.ru
Thu Jul 26 06:34:35 PDT 2007

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Anyway, the mostly unrelated question - it relates to the
> libraries listed in (1).  When browsing in navigator, I
> find very limited information for libcups (only Gentoo is
> listing as having it), and none at all for libdbus or
> libcairo, which I was also trying to search on (was hoping
> to see if there was a common version).  libpangocairo
> does come up.  Meanwhile, I see liberal references to
> dbus and cairo at least in the App* tables, and to the
> *interfaces* in dbus, cairo and cups. Seems interesting
> that these would be represented in RawInterface and in App*
> but not in RawLibary.  Ideas?

Well, the distributions data and the applications one are uploaded
separately. Tables joined in the 'Distribution Structure' frame in
Navigator are filled on the basis of distribution analysis. Application
analysis is performed separately, and all that we can take from this
analysis is interface and libraries names required by application (it is
usually impossible to determine library that provides a given interface
using only application's executables). Required interfaces are also
placed in the RawInterface table. And if these interfaces have not been
found in the distributions yet, then we'll simply get the situation you
mentioned.

So there is a lack of data now for distributions from this point of
view. Actually, only components are uploaded that contain entities
included in the LSB. (There is some more data for Gentoo since it is a
source-based distribution and some things that are represented by
several components in other distributions are compiled from the same
source in Gentoo).

Uploading of additional data is in our plans and we'd like to upload
data that will cover the most interfaces used by applications. Such a
full upload requires some time, but some components (such as dbus,
cairo, cups - maybe something else?) can be uploaded in the nearest time
and included in the nearest release.

--
Regards,
Denis.