[Lsb-infrastructure] Private elements in Qt to possibly withdraw from LSB

Vladimir Rubanov vrub at ispras.ru
Thu Nov 22 03:31:51 PST 2007

Colleagues,

when developing shallow tests for Qt3 interfaces we have discovered some
issues with the interfaces included in the standard (they are in Qt3 only
not in Qt4).

This mail presents the first portion of these issues:

1. The 'QDragManager' class has private constructor. And there are no
interfaces that return an object of this class. So it is impossible to get
an object of this class in user applications and to create correct tests for
non-static methods of this class. So it seems this class should be withdrawn
from the LSB as a part of internal Qt implementation not public interface.

2. The 'QTextEdit::UndoRedoInfo' structure is private. And it is impossible
to call its methods from applications / tests. So, similarly, we need to
withdraw it from LSB.

BTW, evidently LSB Navigator reports no applications using QDragManager and
QTextEdit::UndoRedoInfo.

Carlos, could you please validate our understanding?

Mats, Jeff, what is the procedure for removing such "wrong" interfaces from
the standard? May we just remove them by a "bug fix" or we should still
follow the deprecation cycle?

Thanks,
Vladimir.