[Lsb-infrastructure] Next LSB DB version?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Feb 5 04:23:26 PST 2008

Alexey Khoroshilov wrote:
>> There is now a 'ModuleSet' table..
>>
>> The new tables (for interpreted languages, for module sets) are not
>> used in the specification build process yet, but I think it makes
>> sense to incorporate them there in future.
>>
> A terminological question.
>
> We have two kinds of LSB modules:
> - user-visible modules, which are also called "module sets" in terms
> of LSB DB and low-level staff;
> - low-level modules, which are user-invisible building blocks for
> "user-visible modules" or "module sets".
>
> To avoid ambiguity I would suggest to agree a unified terminology.
>
> For example, we can call "user-visible modules" or "module sets" as
> "modules" and "low-level modules" as "submodules".
>
> The idea behind this variant: a "module set" is not clear for an
> end-user since (s)he knows nothing about modules.
>
> Any thoughts?

In particular with respect to the LSB-Desktop specification
the modules are quite obscure - I doubt whether anybody thinks
in terms of an XML module or an Extended Graphics module except
those working directly with database contents.

The wording seems comfortable enough to me, but...

Structurally, ELF and Packaging exist at about the level that
XML and Graphics-Ext (and others do), but the former do not
have entries in the module table; the latter do. So we've
still got some inconsistency (historical baggage).

Would we propose to change any of the terminology at the
database level?  Some of the Module table entries correspond
to modules, some to submodules:

modules:
Core
Cpp
Printing
Multimedia (sort of; it's part of TrialUse but I'd see it
as a standalone book - a user-visible module - when mandatory,
unless we decide it goes into Core, in which case it's a submodule)

submodules:
Graphics
Toolkit_Gtk
Toolkit_Qt
Graphice_Ext
XML
Toolkit_Qt3
Python
Perl

submodule-like things (these make up the Core module):
LSB
ELF
Packaging

And what, if anything, would be the database-level representation
of what this terminology would call Modules?