[Openais] Re: 2.6.9 kernel oops with openais

Chris Wright chrisw at osdl.org
Fri Oct 29 17:19:35 PDT 2004

* Steven Dake (sdake at mvista.com) wrote:
> What would be preferrable instead of dropping UID when privleged
> services are needed?  more specifically I need
>     * CAP_NET_RAW (bindtodevice)
>      * CAP_SYS_NICE (setscheduler)
>      * CAP_IPC_LOCK (mlockall)

You could drop all but those specific capabilities.  But, since you only
seem to need those during startup there's not a huge value in doing
anything other than what you're already doing.

> I had thought about adding the correct code to get these capabilities
> but it still requires a start-from-uid0 environment

Dropping uid is a fine idea, esp. since you have to start from uid 0
to get the bind/setsched/mlock bits done.  It just exposes a case where
the mlock change might surprise users, which is why I hope it's not the
common usage pattern (and I think most are root apps, so we should be ok).

thanks,
-chris