[Openais] [patch] improved logging and tracing support

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 00:34:40 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 09:15 +0200, Hans Feldt wrote:
> Steven Dake wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 08:09 +0200, Hans Feldt wrote:
> >>- Why not remove the service name in the printout and use file & line
> >>instead? Service name will only be used for setting level and tags to
> >>trace. Feels like redundant info to me.
> >>
> > For things like tracing I think this could make a lot of sense.  I am
> > not convinced that an end user would be happy seeing a generic status
> > message stating that openais executive exited at util.c:XXX.  These
> > types of file/line number warnings may be confusing.
>
> What about default using file & line for the debug level (including
> tracing) and service name for all others (info, ...)?
>
> Then add an option to have file and line for everything?

great idea Hans...

> >>- Printing the level seems unnecessary, syslog don't do that. Can I remove?
>
> Was this OK with you?

I don't have a strong preference either way.  I can make arguments for
both approaches.  I leave the decision in your hands unless someone else
in the community has a strong objection to removing these printings.
I'd still like to keep the data around - someday we may find it useful
to be able to filter on a particular level beyond what is done with
syslog.

Regards
-steve