[Openais] Proposed change to default nodeid generation

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 09:02:40 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 08:25:55AM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> This breaks binary compatibility within the protocol.

We only need to do the negative to positive conversion on values that are
passed out through the API's, e.g. libcpg.  corosync/openais can continue
to use the nodeid's as they are.  So, we don't need to break
compatibility.

The alternative is for programs to put wrappers around things like libcpg
to do the nodeid conversion.

> It is also completely unsavory to me.
>
> Finally what is the advantage of converting negative nodeids to positive
> ones?

Current programs assume non-negative nodeids.  The advantage of making
them positive is that the programs no longer break.

Dave