[Openais] quorum service question

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 07:04:20 PDT 2009

On 29/10/09 13:32, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am just testing the quorum service and have some basic questions. First, I use the following configuration in corosync.conf:
>
> quorum {
>          provider: corosync_votequorum
>          expected_votes: 3
>          votes: 1
> }
>
> But AFAIK this information is local (not copied to other nodes). And the votequorum seems to add new nodes dynamically. So how can I make sure that all nodes in the cluster use the same values? I guess it is important that all nodes start with the same value?
>
> Or is it better to not set expected_votes at start:
>
> quorum {
>          provider: corosync_votequorum
> 	  votes: 1
> }
>
> And set expected_votes later with an application that has static knowledge about all cluster members?

The quorum service really works best if you have a common configuration
system so that the values are the same on all nodes.

Having said that it should always use the highest expected_votes value,
so as you add nodes (with, I hope, increasing values for
expected_votes!) then the quorum requirement will increase. So although
the actual values for expected_votes per node are not replicated, the
effect is.

> Maybe someone can suggest some further reading on that topic?
>
> And when node loose quorum it logs "[VOTEQ ] quorum lost, blocking activity". But that does not really block anything? Instead any quorum listener gets notified that the quorum is lost?

Actually it does block some API operations when there is no quorum - or
it should. Obviously the quorum APIs are *not* blocked though :-)

Chrissie