[Openais] where to start

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 11:11:16 PDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 03:56 AM, Antony Mayi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> need to implement distributed application with global state and believe
> openais is the right framework for me. however there is no documentation
> available - any API description any examples. the last link on
> http://openais.org/doku.php?id=doc:quickstart looks promising however
> results to 404. can someone point me to something useful?
>
> cheers Antony.

Antony,

First I suggest using corosync instead of openais.  We have moved all
the replicated state machine functionality into corosync
(http://www.corosync.org).

As you have noticed, our documentation is a little weak.  Within our
tarball, there are man pages for nearly every api of interest and they
are actually pretty good/complete.

The model we follow is that applications participate in a cpg (closed
process group) (man cpg_overview).

If those applications fail, they can be restarted with sam (simple
availability manager) (man sam_overview).

If you don't want stateful failover, (ie you dont want to change your
application which doesn't sound like your use case) check out Pacemaker
(http://www.clusterlabs.org).

Feel free to ask more applications as you want.

Regards
-steve