[Openais] Openais Digest, Vol 90, Issue 1

M Siddiqui msiddiqui at live.com.pk
Wed Jan 25 23:37:07 UTC 2012

> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:02:39 +1100
> From: Tim Serong <tserong at suse.com>
> To: openais at lists.linux-foundation.org, discuss at corosync.org
> Subject: Re: [Openais] HA Cluster Connected over VPN
>
> On 01/25/2012 12:32 PM, M Siddiqui wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have a situation where two cluster nodes are connected over the VPN;
> > each node
> > is configured with two interfaces to provide ring redundancy for
> corosync:
> >
> > NODE1:
> >    eth1: 192.168.1.111/24 <http://192.168.1.111/24>
> >    eth2: 192.168.1.112/24 <http://192.168.1.112/24>
> >
> > NODE2:
> >    eth1: 192.168.1.113/24 <http://192.168.1.113/24>
> >    eth2: 192.168.1.114/24 <http://192.168.1.114/24>
> >
> > corosync version 1.4.2
> > transport udpu (multicast has the same issue)
> >
> > Since two nodes are geographically distributed and connected over the
> VPN,
> > configuring each interface in a different subnet is not an option here.
> >
> > Now corosync got confused due to same subnet; how we can handle this
> > situation?
> > What is the experts recommendation? Thanks in advance for the answer.
>
> I'm pretty sure if you're doing multiple rings, they need to be on
> separate subnets.  Question: if you're going over a single openVPN
> instance, you only really have one communication path between the nodes,
> right?  In which case, redundant rings won't actually help.

I see. Thanks!

Actually in my setup I am using two interfaces on each node:
eth1 for heartbeat and eth2 for some data aggregation from other
hosts on the same network as well as hosts across the VPN.

Now I agree there in one communication path for hosts across the
VPN but we can avoid congestion while aggregating data from hosts
on the same network; (I mean all host on one end of VPN). In this
situation, even if we don't configure eth2 as a backup ring in
corosync.conf
still corosync got confused and does not work.

Also, bonding of interfaces does not work for me as I need to interfaces
each with a separate address.

regards,
mumtaz