[Printing-architecture] Proposed filesystem layout for print ppd and driver files

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Wed Aug 2 18:28:04 PDT 2006

> > "The directories /opt/bin, /opt/doc, /opt/include, /opt/info, /opt/lib,
> > and /opt/man are reserved for local system administrator use. Packages
> > may provide "front-end" files intended to be placed in (by linking or
> > copying) these reserved directories by the local system administrator,
> > but must function normally in the absence of these reserved
> > directories."
> >
> > (so it doesn't mention /opt/share explicitly but it seems
> > like the intent is clear)
> >

> Does this mean that for third-party vendors only
>
> /opt/<supplier>/
>
> is allowed and nothing outside of this?

No, symlinks are fine, but probably should be installed as part of a
post-install script with permission from the sysadmin.

Just to add a bit of background, /opt/<vendor|package> was created to
avoid namespace clashes. The ability to copy/symlink to say /opt/bin
(and it really probably should be only symlinking) was added so user's
paths didn't need to be modified for every package that was installed.

So I'd like to keep the current practice of only installing into
/opt/<vendor>, and creating symlinks from /opt/lib or /opt/share to
make things easier for applications that need find the ppd or driver
files.

This, I think is the solution that best matches the current design of
the /opt in the FHS, even though it is a bit more complex than just
installing direct into /opt/lib or /opt/share.

In practice, the "permission from the sysadmin" is perhaps not needed
for the symlinking pppd files *if* something like LANANA can guarantee
no namespace clashes. But packages should be very careful never to
overwrite existing links.

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group