[Printing-architecture] Proposed filesystem layout for print ppd and driver files

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 06:52:59 PDT 2006

So then I would say we go with my last suggestion:

Distro-supplied:
  /usr/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/
  /usr/lib/printdriver/<supplier>/

Vendor-supplied:
  /opt/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/ be a symlink to
    /opt/<vendor>/<undefined_place_in_hierarchy>
  /opt/lib/printdriver/<supplier>/ be a symlink
    /opt/<vendor>/<undefined_place_in_hierarchy>

Local admin:
  /usr/local/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/
  /usr/local/lib/printdriver/<supplier>/

and the install scripts should by default (asking could be supressed by
a command line option) not overwrite files without asking the user.

Using /opt/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/ and
/opt/lib/printdriver/<supplier>/ for the symlinks should make file
clashes usually not happening. Perhaps we should reserve these with LANANA.

   Till