[Printing-architecture] [Printing-summit] OPS Preparationminutes (28 March 2012)

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Apr 2 14:50:03 UTC 2012

Ira,

I must admit to being totally confused.   I always under the impression that JTAPI was a classic definition of a transform service and not just a job ticket interpreter for a Print Service.    I thought a transform service accepts one document format and product a different document format; which is what I thought JTAPI did.  Example, accept a JDF job ticket and produce a PWG job ticket.

What you describe below is what I would call it an interpreter and, maybe, that you have considered JTAPI to be.    Then, at least to me, the existing JTAPI may not be what is needed.   What is needed is a generic JDF interpreter, a PWG:PJT interpreter, …; that is, what I called the front-end to JTAPI.

I always saw the use case as:  A Print Service accepts PWG:PJT but the Print Client produced JDF.   Thus, the either the Print Client or the Print Service uses the JTAPI Transform Service to transform JDF to PJT.    The Print Service would already have its own interpreter to parse PWG:PJT into what ever internal format the Print Service needed or used.   [ I had always hoped that someday we could have a defined a the internal format that everyone would use but I don’t think that will ever happen.]