[Printing-architecture] [Printing-summit] OPS Preparationminutes (28 March 2012)

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Apr 2 15:57:49 UTC 2012

Wow!  I have a different scenario.

I see generation of a Print Job Ticket by a Print Client as a very simple process.   Using C-Code as an example; it is nothing more that a collection of canned “printf” statement were the argument are the Print Intent values expressed in the specific Print Job Ticket “language”.   The Print Client only wants to output one Print Job Ticket format, not one of several.

I see parsing Print Job Ticket by a Print Service as an equally simple process; although there is a lot of content/data checking.   The Print Service only wants to accept one Print Job Ticket format, not one of several.

The difficult part is when the Print Client Print Job Ticket format does not match the Print Service Print Job Ticket format - an impedance mismatch; thus, JTAPI, provides the impedance matching or a transform service.

What you are outlining implies that a Print Client or Print Service internally would need to use a set of data structures and definitions that supports JTAPI, where it may better for the Print Client or Print Service to support the Print Job Ticket more directly.   This does lead to the ever pending problem of “Common”; either a Common Print Client or even a Common Print Service.  For a Common Print Client it implies what “Label” or “Name” and what “values” should be displayed.   If JTAPI definitions, values and names are to be used; then, JTAPI become useful for converting any Print Job Ticket to a common internal format for every one to use.   I like this idea.

The same concept applies to capabilities information which is based Print Job Ticket formats/definitions.

For the GSOC the time constraint, we may only get Print Job Ticket format Foo converted to an internal structure.   We can try to both read and write of that Print Job Ticket format.

Since there may be an issue using or modifying MJT (copyright, etc), I will create a very simple MIT license Print Job Ticket format for JTAPI GSOC.   Again, the goal of JTAPI this year is end-to-end code with a very well documented set of code that will be used as illustration of implementing JTAPI.   The Print Job Ticket format is not important this year.  Next year or in a separate project, a standardized Print Job Ticket format can be instantiated.

Glen