[Printing-architecture] [Printing-japan] Meeting Minutes

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:16:19 UTC 2012

Hello Mihara-san,

Thank you for these OP Japan meeting minutes.

<Ira's opinion - not official>
You asked if development of Common Print Dialog has been canceled.
As far as I know, Canonical/Ubuntu has not assigned Lars Uebernickel
to do any further work on CPD.

In addition, the consensus at the OP Summit in April 2012 and on our
OP monthly teleconferences since then has been:
(a) CPD was not designed to be extensible (shrinkable?) to small mobile
platforms;
(b) Common Mobile Print Client (CMPC) that Glen Petrie's has worked
on is more useful for future Linux systems (it scales up to larger screens
easily).

The consumer and enterprise trends away from traditional desktop and
laptop PCs toward mobile tablets, PDAs, smartphones, etc. makes the
CPD much less useful for Linux printing than when it was first proposed
six years ago.
</Ira's opinion - not official>

Cheers,
- Ira

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Temporary Cabin *** 2012 only *** 906-494-2523