[Inkjet-list] resetting printer

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:15:09 PST 2002

   From: "Mark VanderWiele" <markv at us.ibm.com>
   Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:18:27 -0600

   A simple method might be to have the printer driver return the size
   of it's maximum graphics segment, preferred character to fill the
   segment, and termination sequence.

This isn't reliable; there may not be single character that can be
used as fill.  Furthermore, on winprinters or other timing-sensitive
devices it may be absolutely necessary for the driver to do the abort.

				       Without the additional
   knowledge of the beginning and end of graphics segments, you send
   extra unprinted data.  However it always aborts without eating the
   next job.  Optimally, there is a method to tell the (lp,usb,...)
   port to throw away buffered data without letting another job in
   during pooled printer situations.

Same problem: only the driver knows what the safe boundaries are.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net
Project lead for Gimp Print/stp --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net