[printing-discuss] Re: [Inkjet-list] Device capabilities?

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 4 16:30:39 PST 2002

   Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:22:27 -0500
   From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>

   > I looked at Solaris 8 about 6 months ago; it seems to have something
   > almost equivalent to the Linux model, which does support USB (and
   > hence, bidirectional comms).

   But only on newer hardware...  As a UNIX software vendor, *believe me*
   when I say that most systems just don't support it (they don't have
   the hardware, and those that do don't always have the software support)

That's all well and good; those systems won't have dynamic
capabilities.  That's no reason to hold everything back, though.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net
Project lead for Gimp Print/stp --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net