[Foomatic] I wrote a driver for the Lexmark X125 - What now?

Mark Roth markroth8 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 06:15:25 PST 2004

In article <mailman.1073296382.27291.foomatic-devel at linuxprinting.org>, Tim
Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> writes:
> Having looked at it, I'm not really sure why you didn't make it an IJS
> driver.  That would be the best way to go to be honest.  Then you can
> use one ghostscript command line for it (and still build it outside
> ghostscript).

*Now* you tell me ;)

It is possible with my driver today to do a single ghostscript commandline,
which I put in the foomatic db file:

     gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bitcmyk
        -sPAPERSIZE=$size -r600x600 -sOutputFile=- - | x125_cmyk
        size=$size hdpi=600

Actually, I've never done this before so I don't know what an IJS driver is.
Can you point me to some documentation on this?

I just exchanged some emails with Alwin Stolk, who wrote the driver for the Z42
(which I used as a model driver).  He suggested making an extension to
gimp-print because of its superior color correction and dithering.  This sounds
like an attractive option as I've been unsatisfied with the ditering quality I
get with bitcmyk and since this would give my driver an automatic distribution
vehicle.

Are there advantages to doing an IJS driver vs. a gimp-print driver?

Thanks for your patience and assistance!

- Mark