[Foomatic] I wrote a driver for the Lexmark X125 - What now?

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 5 11:34:51 PST 2004

markroth8 at yahoo.com (Mark Roth) writes:

> I just exchanged some emails with Alwin Stolk, who wrote the driver for the Z42
> (which I used as a model driver).  He suggested making an extension to
> gimp-print because of its superior color correction and dithering.  This sounds
> like an attractive option as I've been unsatisfied with the ditering quality I
> get with bitcmyk and since this would give my driver an automatic distribution
> vehicle.

> Are there advantages to doing an IJS driver vs. a gimp-print driver?

Hello,

I think you would be very pleased with the Gimp-Print dither quality
compared with the gs dithering.

If you are interested in making your driver work with Gimp-Print, we
have a mailing list, gimp-print-devel at lists.sourceforge.net.  We have
a lexmark family driver (print-lexmark), and it may be the case that
you could add the Z42 support to the existing driver.

Our current development branch (4.3.x) is due to go alpha very soon.
This now includes support for dynamically loadable printer drivers, so
if you wanted, you could add Gimp-Print support by writing a new
driver plug-in, but it is probably easiest to use the existing Lexmark
driver (in Gimp-Print, we have "family" drivers for various printer
types e.g. Canon, ESC/P2, Lexmark, PCL etc., and each supports the
various models for that manufacturer).

Richard Wisenoecker <Richard.Wisenoecker at gmx.at> is the Lexmark
maintainer.

BTW, if you wanted to write a standalong IJS server to work with gs,
the IJS source and documentation is available from
<URL:http://www.linuxprinting.org/ijs/>.

Regards, Roger

--
Roger Leigh