[Foomatic] I wrote a driver for the Lexmark X125 - What now?

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 6 12:14:50 PST 2004

markroth8 at yahoo.com (Mark Roth) writes:

> In article <mailman.1073395864.8300.foomatic-devel at linuxprinting.org>, Roger
> Leigh <roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net> writes:
>> If you are interested in making your driver work with Gimp-Print, we
>> have a mailing list, gimp-print-devel at lists.sourceforge.net.  We have
>> a lexmark family driver (print-lexmark), and it may be the case that
>> you could add the Z42 support to the existing driver.
>
> Great!  I'm joining it...
>
> By the way, the Z42 driver was already written by Alwin Stolk.	I'm working on
> a driver for the X125.

Sorry--my mistake.

>> Our current development branch (4.3.x) is due to go alpha very soon.
>
> When would I need to commit my driver to make it available in the 4.3.x branch?
>  Is there a feature freeze coming up?

The freeze will probably not be for a while yet.  As long as the
changes were not intrusive, there shouldn't be a problem.  If the X125
is similar to the other Lexmark models, this shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think major API changes will be permitted (just additions),
but an X125 driver should be totally contained within print-lexmark,
and since this is a plug-in, it won't impact on the core API.

> I think I'd like to complete my standalone driver first (add color support,
> bi-directional printing and higher dpi), but it sounds like gimp-print is the
> correct long-term solution.

It should certainly make some things simpler: all the dithering and
colour conversion is done for you: your driver can then concentrate on
doing the model-specific stuff.  If you integrate the X125 support
into the print-lexmark code, you can also take advantage of the
generic Lexmark code that's already been written.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh