[Foomatic] foomatic-rip sometimes doesn't understand options

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Wed Jan 7 09:09:34 PST 2004

Hi folks,

	I've been trying to use foomatic-rip as a filter with LPRng.
Things work fine, except there's an odd problem with -Z options.  If
I invoke foomatic-rip by hand, like this:

cat /etc/printcap | foomatic-rip --lprng -Z PrintQuality=highquality \
   /local/lib/filters/MQ3300NP.ppd > junk.dat

the option 'PrintQuality=highquality' is 'pondered' and found OK.
(At least there are no complaints.)  But if I add a printcap entry like
this:
        :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip:\
        :ppd=/local/lib/filters/MQ3300NP.ppd:

and then print something using "lpr -Z PrintQuality=highquality", I see
the following error in the spool log:

IF filter 'foomatic-rip' filter msg - 'Pondering option
'PrintQuality=highquality'' ...

IF filter 'foomatic-rip' filter msg - 'Unknown option
PrintQuality=highquality.' ...

	Why is the option understood in one case, but not in the other?  Any
suggestions are appreciated.

	Btw, I'm using foomatic-3.0.0 and I've tried both LPRng 3.7.4 and
3.8.19, with the same results.

								Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu