[Foomatic] Re: foomatic-rip sometimes doesn't understand options

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Thu Jan 8 12:34:14 PST 2004

Hi again,

	I've found the cause of the problem, but not a solution.  LPRng
is appending the name of the accounting file (default "acct") to the
end of the filter command, and foomatic-rip is interpreting this
as the ppd file.

	According to the man page for foomatic-rip, I need to use
the '--lprng' switch if I want foomatic-rip to understand "-Z" flags,
and this syntax requires that the ppd file be the last argument given
to foomatic-rip.

	Turning off LPRng's accounting (with ":la@:") doesn't seem
to fix the problem.  It still passes "acct" as the last argument to
foomatic-rip. I've played around with various printcap configurations,
but I can't find any way around this.

	I could set "af" to point to my ppd file, but then checkpc
would always want to change the permissions and ownership of the file,
and also I'd worry that it would eventually get overwritten.

	An ideal solution would be to allow the "--ppd" switch
to work with foomatic-rip under LPRng, taking precedence over whatever
junk gets appended on the end of the filter command.

	Any suggestions?

						Thanks,
						Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu