[Foomatic] My Lexmark X125 driver needs to read from the printer

Mark Roth markroth8 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 10:20:00 PST 2004

I've hit a snag while trying to integrate my latest Lexmark X125 driver with
foomatic.

One of my testers found that my driver locks up the printer when large files
are sent to it.  After much investigation and many headaches, I found that the
printer is trying to send status information back to the PC.  If I don't read
this status information, the printer gets a buffer overflow and locks up after
a while.

I've modified my driver to take the device name as input and it opens the
device for O_RDWR.  As it's writing to the printer, it also reads the status
information, clearing the buffer.  All works well.

I'm now trying to figure out how to write my foomatic driver DB entry.	I need
to specify in the prototype element that the device name needs to be passed
(e.g. /dev/usb/lp0).  I also want to make sure foomatic doesn't send the output
of my driver to the printer (I guess I can solve this problem by not producing
any stdout).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- Mark