[Foomatic] foomatic and cups-recent compatibility issues.

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Fri Jan 16 11:38:51 PST 2004

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> I spent sometimes working looking into compatibility problems between PPDs
> generated by foomatic and recent version of CUPS. Here is
> what I found:
>
> (1) cups 1.1.20 and cups 1.2 will choke on PPDs downloaded from the
> linuxprinting.org web site - it looks like the web side is running 3.0.1rc1
> - which has one tiny bug (already fixed in CVS) of an extra blank space on one
> particular empty line! (search for "TTRaster" in Foomatic/DB.pm, it is
> a few lines after that).

Use the CVS version of the 3.0.x branch currently, but upload any
changes the XML files for your driver into both the 3.0.x and 3.1.x
branches.

> (2) cups 1.1.19 doesn't mind the blank space. But mind some other things
> generated by foomatic 2.0.x,

DO NOT use Foomatic 2.x, it is obsolete.

> a. off-spec characters used in Product and ModelName,

Should be fixed in Foomatic 3.0.x, if there are XML files where it is
not fixed, please tell.

> b. spaces in shortname part of optional parameters

Do not use any spaces in shortnames when you are working on your XML files.

> c. line too long.

The 3.x PPD generator does not produce too long lines. If it does,
please tell for which printer/driver combo.

    Till