[Foomatic] CanonS400 broken

Tim McCoy tmccoy at hotPOP.com
Sun Feb 22 05:46:44 PST 2004

The following has been posted to the Canon mailing list:

Hey all,

I've been using my CanonS400 for ages now under Linux, without too many
hassles. But after my hard drive died, I've had to start again. The Debian Sid
packages appear to have a break in them, or I've missed something when
compiling my custom kernel.

In my kernel, I've included IEEE1284 and Parallel Port Suppport, as well as
"Parallel printer support".

When attempting a foomatic-gui configuration, using the BJC600 driver (which
has always worked) I get the following:

Use of deprecated SAXv1 function endElement
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Foomatic/DB.pm line 3389.

The similar error (just the last two lines occur when I attempt to configure it
manually using "#foomatic-configure -s lpd -n CanonS400 -c file:/dev/lp0 -p
Canon-S400 -d bjc600 -o PageSize=A4" (which is the EXACT command I've used in
the past to configure my printer).

Debian Sid
2.4.22 kernel (custom)
Canon S400SP (parallel connection)