[Foomatic] Using usb IDs for autodetection

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Apr 8 13:11:19 PDT 2004

Grant Taylor wrote:

>>Yeah, this seems like an issue.  To my novice mind, it seems like it'd
>>make sense for the foomatic DB to be the canonical DB for this info.
>

> We pretty much are; as is we are the clear source for non-ps printer
> info, and we are afaik the only centralized source of dfsg-free PPD
> files (although maybe cups throws them in?).  It's just that the two
> are needlessly disjoint for historical reasons.

You should all look at the new "CUPS Driver Development Kit", please
released under GPL 2 weeks ago.

It allows you to develop CUPS raster and PCL drivers with associated
PPDs. Eventually, that approach would be much cleaner than the ingenious
Foomatic-"reroute from CUPS to Ghostscript"-hack.

For a (long enough) transition perion (or maybe "forever") the current
Foomatic approach could still be maintained.

There shouldn't be any fundamental problem to let the Foomatic-DB and
a new generator engine spit out the PCL-PPD for example....

Cheers,
Kurt