[Foomatic] Using usb IDs for autodetection

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Thu Apr 8 15:26:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 17:47 -0400, David Chappell wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen a printer in which the IEEE-1284 and USB IDs
> differed?  Doesn't USB report IEEE-1284 ID strings?

If you're doing the ioctl() on it to get the IEEE-1284 strings, then
yes.

If you're looking at the product info in sysfs or trying to match it up
to usb.ids, then not necessarily.  My Epson Stylus C64 gets reported as
"Seiko Epson Corp." as the manufacturer (versus "EPSON" from the
IEEE-1284) data.  And I realized -- followed by a fit of rage -- that
all Epson Stylus printers have the same product ID, even if they're
completely different printers.  sysfs reports it as "USB Printer",
usb.ids reports it as "Stylus Printer", and IEEE-1284 as "Stylus C64".
And so my hope that using USB IDs to solve the autodetection problem
faded rather quickly.

Joe