[Foomatic] Using usb IDs for autodetection

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Apr 14 01:05:52 PDT 2004

Hello,

On Apr 13 12:01 Joe Shaw wrote (shortened):
> Well, the best printer driver should just be chosen.  I don't really
> understand the 10-different-drivers-per-printer thing in YaST

YaST chooses the recommended Foomatic PPD file which is what several
experts think what hopefully normal users may regard as what you call
the "best" driver.

Please tell me what you think is the best printer driver for the
HP DeskJet 550C
HP DeskJet 990C
HP LaserJet 1200
HP LaserJet 4000
then I will tell you why you are wrong.
Note that regardless what you tell me I can always tell you that
you are wrong.

Please please don't think that it is so easy:
Simply autodetect the printer and then auto-configure the "best" driver.
If it would be as easy why do you think we don't do it?

> Mac OS obviously can only autoconfigure printers it knows about.

As it works much better in Mac OS than in Linux it seems that Apple
is better supported by printer manufacturers than Linux (I assume
Apple does not buy any new printer model to find out the autodetection
IDs and the "best" driver on their own).

Perhaps the name Novell helps us to get more support by the printer
manufacturers so that we can provide more data for Foomatic - see
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/11/jsmeix_print-info-for-manufacturers.html

Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX AG, Maxfeldstrasse 5                 Mail: jsmeix at suse.de