[Foomatic] Using usb IDs for autodetection

Grant Taylor gtaylor+foodev_cdjgi041404 at picante.com
Wed Apr 14 10:58:54 PDT 2004

Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> writes:

> On Apr 13 15:41 Grant Taylor wrote (shortened):

>> I plugged in a printer yesterday, and it took four restarts of cupsd
>> across three systems, and a close and restart of kprinter itself,
>> before the stupid thing would show up in the kprinter dialog.

> I was talking only about the manual selection of the model name
> (i.e. two more cklicks to select the manufacturer and then the model).
>
> You are talking about a configuration attempt which really failed.
>
> I really hope that you don't complain if the only(!) thing
> you need to do is to select your particular model from a list.

No, in this case it is a previously configured printer.  This
particular boot, the printer was turned on after cups started.
Apparently cups doesn't "just notice" preconfigured queue devices
coming and going.

Probably there should be a helper utility run from hotplug to poke
cups when a device appears, probably cups should periodically scan for
new devices, too.

In any case, you're right, this is a different scenario than
configuration...

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/