[Foomatic] Using usb IDs for autodetection

Grant Taylor gtaylor+foodev_ceage041404 at picante.com
Wed Apr 14 11:01:59 PDT 2004

Joe Shaw <joe at ximian.com> writes:

> Yeah, that's exactly what I'd hope it would do.  My beef is that it
> shows more than one per printer.  As a user, how am I supposed to
> make the distinction between "HP FooJet 4000 foomatic/hpijs blah
> blah whatever" and "HP FooJet 4000 foomatic/Postscript bar quux
> baz"?  I shouldn't need to, that's my point.

You shouldn't need to, certainly.  Alas, the free drivers are not as a
rule well-integrated, with one driver providing good support for many
types of print jobs.

The user is supposed to select based up on the English comments
describing how each particular printer/driver pairing actually works.
In fact these comments are a bit hit-or-miss, and AFAIK they are not
actually shown to real live users in any actual printer configuration
utility.  This is probably just as well; documenting this lameness
won't make it any less lame ;)

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/