[Foomatic] Contributing EPSON printer support/details

Grant Taylor gtaylor+foodev_cfjbg060304 at picante.com
Thu Jun 3 20:34:36 PDT 2004

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf at epkowa.co.jp> writes:

> Trying again, this time after subscribing to the list ;-)

Yes, the world has so much spam we've been forced to be rude.

> I've been asked to check what would be the prefered way to
> contribute information about EPSON printers to the Foomatic

> FYI, EPSON KOWA Corporation already distributes the gs-lpd and pips
> packages as part of a contract with SEIKO EPSON Corporation.  I am

>   1) contribute something like foomatic-db-hpijs
>   2) contribute a set of "official" printers to add to the DB
>      (so you would get two printer definitions for each model)
>   3) contribute patches against the current EPSON printers

Any of these would work.  We'd generally delete duplicate entries
in favor of your "official" ones; in the case of patches you'd be
accomplishing that work for us, so I'm inclined to vote for that.

In theory, the "kit" scheme of -hpijs might suit you better, since it
is more or less distributable independantly from foomatic proper.
But it's not obvious how important this really is, particularly since
the advent of the 100% ppd-based arrangement for foomatic-rip.

What are the actual drivers you intend to describe?  The core foomatic
database is intended to describe only free software drivers (per
DFSG); so if you're shipping binaries or what-not we'll require a kit
for at least the driver and option portion of the data.  Any and all
*printer* data updates are of course welcome no matter how nonfree
your driver licensing.

Will your work include postscript printers with Epson-provided PPDs?
We host a repository of free ppd files as well...

> is no good and feedback on the value of vendor approved test results

There's tons of value to vendor provided data.  Till spends a huge
amount of time putting stuff in, and it's always way *after* users
turn up with new printers.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/