[Foomatic] Driver for a braille printer

Guenther Frick gfrick at chemie.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 17 05:01:22 PDT 2004

In article <mailman.5.1087454060.214.foomatic-devel at linuxprinting.org>, Juan
Ramon Jimenez Garcia <jjig99 at yahoo.es> writes:

>   Hi all,
>
>       I need to develop a driver of linux for a braille printer, but I
> do not know very clearly where i have to begin.
>
> First of all i will like to know if somebody is working in this kind of
> printers (if there is something done, something developing...)
>
> There is a lot of information and documentation, but also I see many
> things to do a driver and i don't know which is the best for me :-/  .
>
> The driver of a braille printer is very simple and, i will basicaly need
> the source code of a driver made for a ASCII printer (a plaint text
> printer).  Whatever less things are sent to the printer, better.  I have
> looked for but I have not found any driver of these characteristics.
> Somebody could help me in this search?

Here is an in-depth article:
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html

In short another text from the same guy J. Meixner:
>---------snip-----------<
Please have in mind that CUPS accounting is done by default by
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops

If you don't send the data which is to be printed through
  <whatever>tops -> pstops -> ...
then there is no CUPS accounting.

If you send ASCII text via a PPD file entry
  *cupsFilter: "text/plain 0 TextToPrinter"
through a selfmade /usr/lib/cups/filter/TextToPrinter
then this is the one and only filter which is called - see
the mentioned support database article - and therefore you
must do the accounting in this filter.

See the
CUPS Software Programmers Manual
  Writing Filters
    Sending Messages to the User
    Page Accounting
which message prefix you must use for the stderr output
to produce a correct page accounting message.