[Foomatic] Re: Looking for developers: processing of Windows EMF files for CUPS, NX, Samba and Freedesktop.org printing

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jun 11 04:51:09 PDT 2004

Wolfgang Glunz wrote:

> P.S.
> About NX. Anyone knows what happed to LBX (low bandwidth X)?

The "baby" LBX was declared dead by its own parents, Jim Gettys
and Keith Packard. LBX never was faster than "ssh -X -C". Plus,
LBX lacked the encryption ssh provides.

> Wasn't that
> also thought to be the solution for running X over low bandwidth
> connections.

It was *meant* to become the solution, but didnt actually
deliver. See the "LBX Postmortem" document:

   http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/lbxpost/paper.html

More data can be found here:

   http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/usenix2003/html/net.html

However, NX performance testing was never dealt with by the
Jim Gettys/Keith Packards test setup (probably wasnt available
at the time). "The proof of the pudding lies in the eating",
and you should just try yourself and trust your own eyes.
(I, personally dont need any testing figures to know that it
is performant enough for me to be used day-in and day-out.
I would never say the same thing about "ssh -X ­-C". "ssh -X
-C" sucks, if run over an internet connection).

Cheers,
Kurt