[Foomatic] Foomatic-db merges from 3.0 to HEAD

Grant Taylor gtaylor+foodev_cjfbc071204 at picante.com
Mon Jul 12 11:03:35 PDT 2004

Current advice from Till is to double commit data changes in both the
3.0 and 3.1 branch.

To avoid confusion (heck knows *I* was confused), I propose the
following new scheme for changes to foomatic-db for the time being.
Comments or alternatives are welcome...

 - People should check bugfix and general database updates into the
   3.0 stable/bugfix branch tagged 'foomatic-3_0-branch'.

    * Till or I will periodically merge those changes forward into the
      3.1 aka HEAD branch.  Periodic maintainer merges are less
      painful than duplicate commits or developer merges.

    * The intent is that distributors of foomatic data should ship the
      latest 3.0 branch snapshot available.  It will not contain wild
      and crazy things.

    * The web database is also a presentation of the 3.0 stable
      branch.

 - People should check wholesale data changes that go with 3.1
   development into head.

    * We intend the schema to remain backwards and forwards
      compatible, so these would probably consist mainly of new
      elements.

    * Changes in 3.1 (or 3.0) should not reformat the XML text or
      whitespace in a way that will defeat rcsmerge/patch.

There appear to be some changes in 3.1/HEAD which were not also placed
into 3.0 but may belong there.  We will review those in due course, or
you can help me out by examining your own changes and replicating them
back in 3.0 if needed.

--
Grant Taylor
Embedded Linux Consultant