[Foomatic] okipage 4w can be hacked to work under Foomatic

Nigel nbt at bytte.clara.net
Wed Aug 18 10:09:25 PDT 2004

http://www.linuxprinting.org/edit.cgi?id=printer:Okidata-Okipage_4w

1. Compile and install oki4drv from the tarball.
2. Edit the paths in oki4daemon, and install it somewhere.
3. Use the oki4daemon.init script to start oki4daemon on startup.

Oki4daemon creates and monitors /dev/oki4drv, which is what the PPD uses.

Once you've got this far, you should have a /dev/oki4drv which will accept
postscript files.
One would expect that getting cups running would now be a piece of cake, but
printing from
CUPS causes oki4daemon to crash silently.

4. Install the PPD, if you're feeling lucky.

ADDED
=====

5. Things learn't while investigating why CUPS/Foomatic/oki4daemon fails (on
Mandrake 8.2 MNF):

   a.  Make sure lp can write to your /dev/oki4drv.
   b.  You need to enable 'FileDevice yes' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf in order to
       configure the printer using a command like:
lpadmin -p oki -E -v file:/dev/null -m Okidata-Okipage_4w-oki4w.ppd
   c.  The variable handling in Foomatic / Okidata-Okipage_4w-oki4w.ppd
       is messed up - editing oki4daemon as follows will get it working:

105c105
<       if ($firstline =~ m!^AKEOKI ([^=]+)=([^=]+)$!) {
---
>       if ($firstline =~ m!^\%FAKEOKI ([^=]+)=([^=]+)$!) {
144,146c144
<     } until ($firstline !~ m%^AKEOKI%);
---
>     } until ($firstline !~ m%^\%FAKEOKI%);

   d.  I changed some paths from the various components added along the way
       to make it all work on MNF - but don't have any notes - sorry.