[Foomatic] STDIN close failure in foomatic-rip

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sun Nov 14 11:37:28 PST 2004

Running under Perl 5.83 on a Unixware 7.1.0 box
foomatic-rip died with exit code 9.
With $debug = 1 I got the following in the log file:
---snip---
Starting renderer
renderer PID kid4=21198
renderer command: cat
Process dying with "Couldn't close STDIN in 21198", exit stat: 9
---snip---
and the same later on concerning kid3.

Modifying the script to log the error codd ("$!") additionally
gave an errno value of 29 (ESPIPE = "Illegal seek").

Commenting out the STDIN close (lines 3379ff in version 3.43.2.6)
fixed the issue.

Before I make up tests on other systems (Linux, Solaris, SunOS4, ...)
has anybody already seen something like this?

Helge