[Printing-japan] [Gimp-print-devel] Common Printing Dialog: PPD extension specs updated

Michael R Sweet msweet @ apple.com
2008年 8月 1日 (金) 17:03:50 PDT

Roger Leigh wrote:
> Michael R Sweet <msweet @ apple.com> writes:
>
>> We don't use gettext or rely on the system-installed locales (and
>> never have because gettext isn't portable and developers rarely
>> install every locale...)
>
> libintl should be portable to any system, shouldn't it?  For a long

OK, so by "portable" I mean universally available.  Only Linux and
very recent versions of Solaris come with gettext/libintl.

> time we shipped a copy in the gimp-print tarball.  IIRC I dropped it
> for 5.0 because every contemporary system comes with either libintl or
> native libc support.  If Apple don't provide a libintl/gettext
> interface, can't you just link it in statically?

Yes, but static linking carries a price in size, maintenance, and
potential legal issues (technically we'd have to provide our
combined work) that is unacceptable for Apple.

There are still the practical issues caused by gettext itself - you
can't localize to a language not directly supported by the local
system, even if the PPD we are producing is consumed by multiple
systems that may have a different language set installed.