[Accessibility-handlers] what is expert handlers

Alexander Surkov surkov.alexander at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:57:49 PDT 2008

Hello.

Here I'll try to continue the discussion based on Pete's comments (
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/accessibility-handlers/2008-April/000349.htmland
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/accessibility-handlers/2008-April/000350.html
).

1. The case of browser EH plug-inWhen browser doesn't support the certain
XML dialect (it doesn't know how to expose it to AT) then browser EH plug-in
is used. This plug-in is needed to expose the XML content to AT via AT API.

1.1. Implementation of browser EH plug-in

1.1.1. C++ implementation (usage of plug-in mechanism of browser)

1.1.1.1. What mechanisms does Firefox have?
Firefox has plug-in mechanism and XPCOM mechanism to extend browser. IIRC
plug-in mechanism is used to write new control elements (for example it's
used to add Java applet and Flash support). XPCOM mechanism is used to add
new functionality (provide new components and interfaces). Possibly we can
use XPCOM mechanism to implement browser EH plug-in (by Gecko SDK usage).

1.1.1.2. Gecko SDK and Gecko accessibility.
In the meantime Gecko SDK doesn't contain accessibility interfaces (though I
think it may be fixed easy enough). But Gecko accessibility module doesn't
have interfaces to allow EH plug-in be integrated into accessibility module.
We need integration because a) accessibility module supports common things
like ARIA that shouldn't be reimplemented by browser EH plug-in and b)
browser EH plug-in should integrate XML content into existing accessible
tree of the browser. I think in the meantime the current state fo Gecko
accessibility is a bit far to provide similar ability. But for sure we could
think about Gecko accessibility SDK to fit these needs.

1.1.1.3. Disadvantages.
There is one big disadvantage: browser EH plugin should be implemented for
each browser (no code sharing).

1.1.2. XBL/XTF implementation.
It is also Firefox only thing. XTF+XBL allows to implement new XML dialects
for Firefox (the great example is XForms extension). We could think how to
add accessibility support for this stuff (I put initial thoughts at
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/CustomWidgets). But again no code
sharing.

1.1.3. JS implementation.
The great stuff we don't need to reimplement browser EH plugin for each
browser every time. Could we think about extension of JavaScript to
introduce new objects (like there is some JS extension for Java
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference#LiveConnect_Class_Reference)?
But here there is biggest disadvantage: how many years do we need before
browsers will support that?

2. AT EH plug-in.
I still don't get how it can be used. If for example browser EH plugin
expose XML content to AT via AT APIs and AT uses AT APIs then where is the
place for AT EH plug-in? An example would be really good.

3. XML dialect a11y support.
I still don't get how the certain XML dialect should be exposed via AT API
(either by browser or browser EH plugin). I think somewhere here ontologies
should play their own role. But I don't see how. Any comments?

Thank you for your answers and comments.
Alexander.