[Accessibility-ia2] Explicit name

James Teh jamie at nvaccess.org
Mon Jul 25 15:36:50 PDT 2011

On 26/07/2011 2:06 AM, Pete Brunet wrote:
> Thanks Jamie, If both the accName and IAText::text are not helpful in
> this case then it appears that we need IA2_2::explicitName rather than a
> boolean property like IA2_2::isNameExplicit.
You misunderstand me. Allow me to summarise:
1. We usually want to use IAccessibleText, as it gives us more
information and keeps us closer to the content.
2. However, if the author has explicitly indicated that the content
should be overridden for ATs (e.g. using aria-label), we want to use
accName instead.
3. Unfortunately, we can't do (2) because we have no idea *when* the
name has been explicitly overridden by the author.
4. Thus, the flag is enough.
4.1. If the flag indicates the name has been explicitly overridden,
we'll use accName as per (2).
4.2. If not, we'll use IAccessibleText as per (1).
5. In the case of (4.1), text attributes don't matter. The author
provided a name without formatting, so we'll just use it.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Vice President, Developer